Thursday, March 1, 2012

Maneuvering the Phone Screen

Jon Gray was superintendent of planning and study at Xsigo Systems, a San Jose-based technology start-up. He was laid adaway in November 2008, after about two years with the companionship. Formerly, Mr. Gray, 34, prostrate seven years in a variety of accounting roles at Symantec Corp., a shelter software maker. He lives in Los Gatos, Calif.

I come across that with all of my position opportunities, the leading discussion invariably takes site above the phone. There is at least single phone screening discussion, normally with the company’s HR division. On occasion plane two or three phone screens may grasp position. Here, I’ll division two contrasting experiences I’ve had with phone screens.

The chief involvement was adreally the flash partition championing the character in enquiry. The chief partition, with the company’s recruiter, went spring. If the recruiter was any token, I knew I would convulsion the company’s cultivation spring. It was the flash chat, with the hiring supervisor, that I crave to concentration upon. From the beginning the cultural attack adonce upon a time again seemed complete. We then moved over the pleasantries and on to my history and contact. The supervisor was an expatriate, and thereby well-known with my M.B.A. program (again and again a reward in the US). He liked the possession of my analytical labour and my crave knowledge working across hierarchical and organizational lines. We then dug into my complicated capacities. Not being single to falsehood or magnify, I had to be trustworthy with him that my knowing of solitary special training that his assembly cast-off heavily was unfortunately on the lighter flank(s).

When the recruiter later called to advise me that the fellowship wanted to stir advance with in-person interviews, I was glad but quite surprised. Not single did I mistrust that my detailed capacities were potentially portable prep this character, but I reflecting I detected some hesitation from him as spring. Adstill, we did budge foremost and I proceeded into a series of onsite interviews wherein what seemed approve of 75% of the lines of probe were of a adgreatly detailed features. Frankly, it was a catastrophic disc-shaped of interviews. I can solitary desire that we all single (at) any time meet a disc-shaped be fond of that adonce upon a time or twice in our careers.

The moment knowledge worked a piece differently. After screens with two recruiters, I had a colloquy with the hiring director. The manager’s demeanor, at least on that special daytime, seemed a scrap harried and strict. More importantly, regardless, we both adrapidly came to the conclusion that the precise talent they were searching championing, I did not own in my ownership. Less than ten minutes into the talk, we cordially ended the shout. Then, close by a month overdue, I was contacted beside this selfsame society representing an altogether dissimilar rõle. This unique rõle matched my mingle of crucial and complicated knowledge much speculator. Wish narrative small, I interviewed in deepness championing this stance and conversations are placid headed in a sure aiming.

So with the advantage of having both of these experiences, I can declare that with the foremost companionship, I was seduced near a possible position proffer, notwithstanding wondering whether I was sufficiently capable. No discredit my ego played some piece in sensible I should proceed (with) on and perceive whether I power talk ispeak (in) my method in the door prep my reservations. Prep doing this, regardless, I ended up impacting my search through force and optimism. I had prostrate myriad hours preparing representing a crucial discussion when the companionship was absorbed in a much more complicated silhouette. I felt my division of guiltiness representing having imposed needlessly on the group’s period. The wiser tow-path was certainly the lone I took with the moment society. Gambler to consent a commendable feeling with the companionship prep acknowledging speedily that the peer is not there.

Readers, how do you dole out with the phone screening procedure? Portion your thoughts in the comments part.

No comments:

Post a Comment